Friday 16 November 2012

Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies


So far, I have not really let my cookie obsession show here. Don't worry, I'm working on it.

I made these cookies a couple of times, and the last time I made it was for my friends. Since then, one of my friends has been asking for the recipe for these cookies, and at the beginning I just kept on forgetting to type it up for her. Then I started this website up, and thought that if I was going to type up a recipe, I might as well put it up here. So my ever-so-patient friend had to wait an extra couple of weeks (I won't tell you how long she's been waiting. I don't want you to think I'm a bad friend or anything!), until I had the time to make them, and take my pictures. 

So Kaouther, a little overdue, but here is the recipe! I hope they were worth the wait.


Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies

Adapted from King Arthur Flour
Around 50 cookies

220 grams unsalted butter, room temperature
100 grams light brown sugar*
100 grams dark brown sugar*
100 grams granulated sugar*
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
240 grams plain flour
100 grams rolled oats
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon bicorbonate of soda
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
400 grams dark chocolate chips**

Preheat the oven to 160°C (325°F). Line a baking tray with baking paper, and set aside.

Beat together the butter and sugars in a bowl of an electrical mixer, or an electrical handheld mixer. Add the egg, the egg yolk, and vanilla one at a time, beating well after each addition, and scraping down the bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, oats, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix together until thoroughly incorporated. Stir in the chocolate chips. 

Using an ice cream scoop or tablespoon (I used a tablespoon) scoop out some of the cookie dough onto the prepared baking tray, putting no more than 6 cookie dough balls on each sheet, with a few inches between each cookie. Bake the cookies for 12 - 15 minutes (my cookies need about 14 minutes), until they're light golden brown and have slightly darker edges. Their middles might look a bit shiny, but fear not, they will continue to cook bake as they cool on the pan. Remove the cookies from the oven, and let them cool on the pan for 10 minutes, as they may be too soft to move onto a cooling rack, but don't worry, they will harden up as soon they're cool. 

*Don't worry if you have only one type of brown sugar in your kitchen. I've made these before with 200 grams of light brown sugar and 100 grams of granulated, or 200 grams of dark brown sugar and 100 grams granulated. Use whatever you have or prefer!

** I usually chop up chocolate when we don't have chocolate chips, so again, use whatever you have or prefer. Also I prefer dark chocolate because I just really enjoy dark chocolate, but this may be too bitter for some. These are great with 200 grams dark chocolate and 200 grams milk chocolate.  


1 comment:

  1. Best post ever :) cant wait to make these . From ur nice patient friend kaouther xx

    ReplyDelete