Wednesday 7 November 2012

Yogurt Pancakes


Pancakes are something everyone does similarly but differently. I mean the basics are the same - flour, butter, egg, milk - but people have their own way of making them, and pancakes are easily adaptable (banana pancakes, chocolate chip pancakes, blueberry pancakes, cinnamon pancakes.... This can go on for a while).


When we were younger, pancakes wasn't one of the foods we'd usually have for breakfast, and when we did, it was usually from a box mix. As I got older I started to experiment making my own pancakes and realised they were so easy to make. I tried out so many 'basic' pancake recipes and eventually was able to take the attributes that I like and came up with a pancake recipe making pancakes just how I like them (fat and fluffy, and if left on the heat a little longer, a little bit of a crisp), with ingredients I know we always have.


Now, this is the first recipe on my blog that serve a normal amount of people (3-4, depending on how hungry you are) and that's because I made them on a day when everyone was at school/uni/work/out (muhahahaha), and only my dad and I were home. I live for these opportunities. However, normally I double/triple the ingredients. That's when pancake making becomes not fun and so long. 

Yogurt Pancakes

140 grams (1 cup) plain flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
240 grams (1 cup) Greek yogurt*
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
A couple of splashes of milk*
Butter, for the pan

In a medium sized bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and salt. Throw in the yogurt and mix with a wooden spoon. The mixture will be quite thick if you're using Greek yogurt, but don't worry, it will thin out. In a small separate bowl, lightly beat the eggs and vanilla, then add it to the yogurt-flour mixture, and mix it in with a wooden spoon. Add a few splashes of milk to get it to the right consistency (a thick honey-ish consistency). Don't worry if its bumpy and lumpy, its not meant to be smooth.

Melt a little butter in a frying pan on medium-low heat and melt. Add a 1/3 of a cup, or little teacups, of the mixture at a time, or as many as you can fit on the frying pan (I could fit 2 pancakes at a time). Let it take its time to cook, don't turn up the heat, as it usually browns the pancakes too quickly and leaves the inside uncooked. When quite a few bubbles appear on the pancake, its ready to flip over. The other side won't take much time to cook, leave on for a minute or two and check if its browned. 

Serve warm with maple syrup, with some fresh fruit, or like my sisters - with nutella.

* I always use Greek yogurt because that's what we've always got. I need the splashes of milk at the end because Greek yogurt is thicker than normal yogurt. I guess this would also work with normal yogurt (although the measurement in grams would be different) and you may not need (or need as much) milk at the end.




2 comments:

  1. they look delicious! Wish someone at home would make them for me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look so yum, I stumbled on your page by accident and boi o boi am I glad that I did. I shall deffo be making these babies for my hubby this sat. On this birthday. YUM! This wont be the last time I will be visiting your site. God Bless you lady and those blessed culinary fingers of yours :)
    Thanks
    Raquel

    ReplyDelete