Monday 24 December 2012

Spicy Za'atar Roasted Cauliflower with Pomegranate


In my last post I spoke about a side dish that I served with my roasted chicken and green rice, and here it is.



This recipe is one of the "I threw a few things in the bowl and wished for the best" kind of recipe, that actually really worked. Now, you might be thinking that the combination of ingredients may sound a bit strange.. Za'atar? With cauliflower? And spiced up? Then pomegranates on top?? I didn't set out to the kitchen to add these ingredients together and make this. Initially, all I wanted was roasted cauliflower. And then I saw the jar of chilli flakes, and being the spice-a-holic that I am, I added a bit. As I was returning the chilli flakes, my eyes stumbled upon the za'atar jar.. and before I knew it I was adding a few tablespoons and checking out the pomegranate in the corner. It was a delicious accident.


Proof: I made 3 cauliflowers worth, and they were the first to finish. Try it! I know I definitely will be making this again on purpose.



Spicy Za'atar Roasted Cauliflower with Pomegranate

(Serves 4 as a side dish)

1 large cauliflower
1-2 teaspoons chilli flakes (adjust depending on how spicy you want it)
2 tablespoons za'atar
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and pepper
pomegranate seeds from half a pomegranate
squeeze of lemon

Preheat the oven to 170°C (340°F). Break the cauliflower into small florets and cut any remaining stem into medium chunks.

Add the cauliflower to a large bowl, then add in the oil, za'atar, chilli flakes, salt and pepper. Toss well to evenly coat the cauliflower with the oil, herbs and spices.

Put the cauliflower in a baking sheet and roast in the oven for 30 minutes, until crispy brown on the edges, turning over a couple of times during the cooking time. Transfer the cauliflower to a serving plate, sprinkle pomegranate over the cauliflower and finish of with a squeeze of lemon all over. Serve warm alongside everything. 

No comments:

Post a Comment